Author Archives: admin

About admin

Rusty Harper is outrageously happy because he is retired and living with the love of his life, Pat Callbeck Harper in Helena, Montana. So why does he inflict these ramblings on the rest of us, you ask? Because you deserve it. If you aren't smart enough not to read this stuff, then you have to suffer through it. Maybe that builds character, though I doubt it. Think of all the positive things you could do with the time you are wasting on things that occur to me in the night and then sound strange even to me when I write them down in the morning. Bake a cake. Complain to your Senator. Run for Congress. Do something.

What Put Tester Over the Top

Here are my own biased, unsubstantiated, perhaps unsubstantiatable views on what put Jon Tester over the top in his race against Donald Trump and his Mini-Me. However, as many as 50.1% of those of you who voted in the race … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on What Put Tester Over the Top

Trump the Self-Fulfilling Prophet

As of today, about 40% of the nation approves President Trump’s performance. I saw two women on TV at a Trump rally say, “There’s God, then there’s Jesus, then there’s Trump.” Many of the other 60% are inclined to see … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Trump the Self-Fulfilling Prophet

O Canada

I am a man who can admit my many biases. I freely confess they have caused me to criticize our President frequently, especially my bias against policies that are immoral. (What? His policy is to take children away from their … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on O Canada

Hope for Our Nation, at Last!

I am hopeful for our nation for the first time in a very long time. Pat and I were among many hundreds who just attended a March for Our Lives rally organized by young students in Helena. It was one … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Hope for Our Nation, at Last!

George-isms

I was rummaging through some old boxes yesterday and ran across a page of sayings and stories jotted down for future use by our father, the late Rev. George Harper. Like every good comedian-theologian, I’m sure he used each in … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on George-isms

A Name for 2017

If you had to name 2017, what would you call it? I could call this the year the giants died. Mignon Waterman, Bob Ream, Dorothy Eck, Sue Bartlett, Laurie Skillman. Some of the finest human beings and role models in … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on A Name for 2017

Gratefulness

Our Montana Logging and Ballet Company performed years ago at the 6000-member St. Luke’s United Methodist Church in Indianapolis. I remember it because three of us stayed over until Sunday to hear Rev. Kent Millard, one of the great preachers … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Gratefulness

Good Non-Fake News

Actual good non-fake news has been hard to come by in the Trump I-try-to believe-six-impossible-things-before-breakfast era. The election on Tuesday provided some good news to those of us on this side of the facts vs. alternative facts divide. Democratic governors … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Good Non-Fake News

Speaking Truth to Power

Can you imagine if Barack Obama ever once did any of the things Donald Trump does every week? Imagine if he called to console a widow of a slain soldier and remarked that the soldier knew what he was getting … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Speaking Truth to Power

They Aren’t Really Lies

To the best of my knowledge, virtually every Donald Trump speech and press conference and many of his tweets contain statements of fact which fact-checkers later discover to be partially or completely at odds with real facts. Though I am … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on They Aren’t Really Lies